You may be a candidate for surgery if:
- You are over 18 years of age however patients over 12 years of age may be considered**
- You have a BMI greater than 35 or you have a BMI between 30 and 35 and current health concerns which are caused or exacerbated by your weight *
- You are over 18**
- You have been overweight for at least five years
- You have made serious attempts to lose weight over this time
- You are not currently pregnant
- You do not have an alcohol or drug dependency
- You do not suffer from an illness that causes significant weight gain
- You have the capacity to understand the requirements for surgery
- You are willing to attend appointments at NQOSC regularly following surgery
*Patients with a BMI between 30-35 will be considered based on the severity of weight related comorbidities.
**Surgery on teenagers based is based on their individual ability to understand the commitment and lifestyle changes necessary.